Skip to main content

Table 2 Classification of occupations according to school leaving certificates (modela). (Source: Baethge and Wieck 2013, p. 84)

From: The German skill formation model in transition: from dual system of VET to higher education?Das deutsche Ausbildungsmodell im Umbruch: zwischen dualem Berufsbildungssystem und Hochschulstudium

Upper segment > 50 % of new entrants with permission to enter higher education
Upper middle segment > 50 % of new entrants with intermediate school-leaving certificate and > 75 % with intermediate school-leaving certificate and in addition more than one quarter with Abitur
Lower middle segment > 50 % of new entrants with intermediate school-leaving certificate and > 75 %with intermediate school-leaving certificate and in addition more than 25 % with a secondary school leaving certificate (Hauptschule)
Lower segment > 50 % with secondary school leaving certificate (Hauptschule)
  1. aBased on data from 2008